Invisalign vs Braces
There are a variety of treatment options when it comes to straightening crooked teeth. Traditional metal braces and clear aligners are the most popular options used today. Which option will work best for you depends on your individual needs and preferences.
Here at Raleigh Dental Loft, Invisalign clear aligners to give you a straight, beautiful smile. Continue reading to learn more about Invisalign vs Braces and which option is best for you.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign clear aligners are removable trays that are made of durable, clear plastic. These plastic aligners are great for those who don’t want the appearance of traditional braces. Your aligners are swapped out every two weeks to produce accurate tooth movement and promote faster treatment times.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign is a powerful, yet discreet orthodontic treatment that creates a straight smile for patients with misaligned teeth. As the aligners are swapped out every two weeks, the aligners apply pressure to move your teeth gradually to their final position. The average treatment time for Invisalign patients is approximately 12-18 months, but can be quicker for those with minor crooked tooth concerns.
What Types of Dental Issues Can Invisalign Correct?
Invisalign is a popular choice among teens and adults and can be used for a variety of purposes, such as:
- Open bite
- Gap teeth
- Crowded teeth
Pros of Invisalign
- Invisalign is barely noticeable when worn. Since Invisalign aligners are made of clear, durable plastic, the aligners are essentially invisible compared to traditional brackets and wire braces.
- Invisalign has no dietary restrictions. Compared to traditional braces, Invisalign has no dietary restrictions since you are able to remove the clear aligners when you eat and drink.
Cons of Invisalign
- Must be worn for 20-22 hours per day. In order for Invisalign to work effectively, it is important that you follow your Invisalign treatment plan made by your orthodontist. You should only remove your aligners to eat, drink, clean your aligners, and brush or floss your teeth. You must be disciplined enough to wear them for the recommended amount of time.
- Invisalign aligners can be lost. Since Invisalign aligners are removable, it is possible that you may forget about or lose your aligners. It is important to keep track of your aligners and store them properly when eating or drinking.
What are Braces?
Traditional braces consist of brackets and wires that are adhered to your teeth by using a special, tooth-safe glue. There are various types of braces, such as:
- Traditional metal braces: One of the most popular teeth straightening treatment methods, traditional metal braces have metal brackets and wires that are periodically tightened to align your teeth to your desired positioning.
- Clear braces: Clear braces or ceramic braces are just like traditional metal braces, however, instead of using metal brackets, they use tooth-colored brackets to blend in with your natural teeth.
- Lingual braces: Depending on your particular treatment plan, your orthodontist may suggest lingual braces. These braces are another invisible alternative to traditional metal braces. Instead of adhering them to the front of your teeth, ceramic braces are placed on the back of your teeth to minimize their appearance.
How Do Braces Work?
Braces work by constantly applying pressure to teeth and jaws to change and gradually move your teeth into a straighter position. The brackets are adhered to the teeth and hold the wire in place, which puts pressure on the teeth. As time goes by, your teeth will slowly move into their final positions.
Pros of Braces
- Effective way to attain straight teeth: Traditional braces are a very effective way to straighten teeth as they adhere to your teeth with special, tooth-safe glue. Braces are most often recommended for patients that have several misalignment issues.
- Braces are customizable (great for kids): Braces can be customized by using a wide variety of colored rubber bands.Customizing your traditional braces with various colors can make having braces more fun and appealing for younger children.
Cons of Braces
- Dietary restrictions: Brackets and wires can be damaged by eating certain foods. It is crucial to stay away from really hard or sticky foods such as nuts, hard candies, popcorn, corn on the cob, and more.
- Obvious appearance: With braces, it is obvious that you are wearing them. The brackets and wires are made of steel (traditional metal braces), which is visible against your natural teeth. If Invisalign isn’t right for you, and if you do not wish to have the appearance of braces, consider exploring the options of ceramic braces or lingual braces.
Which One is Right for Me?
Every patient’s teeth are different, just as their oral health concerns are, too. Depending on your teeth concerns, such as crowded teeth or having an underbite, your treatment process may vary. To determine what method of treatment is right for you, we recommend scheduling a consultation appointment here at Raleigh Dental Loft.
Schedule a Consultation Appointment
If you are interested in having a beautiful smile with straighter teeth, Invisalign may be a great option for you. During your initial consultation appointment, our orthodontist will analyze your teeth and provide you with a treatment plan that best suits your needs. To schedule an appointment with our team, please give us a call at (919) 364-5432. We look forward to serving you.